In the early days, people used to pierce their bodies to show their importance in a group, or because they thought it protected them from the evil. But in the current scenario, it is merely a style quotient. If you wondering what a body piercing is then you must know that it is exactly how it sounds! A puncture made in your body with the help of a needle. The popularly pierced body parts are the ears, nostrils and the belly button. Since piercing has come a long way, the methods are varied too. Some prefer the needle and the others would like a gunshot done. Doing your homework before visiting the piercing expert is essential. For example, it is always a good idea to find out about the risks involved and how best to protect yourself from infections and other complications. People with medical problems such as allergies, diabetes, skin disorders or immunodeficiency should weigh out the precautions beforehand. Listed below are a few body piercing advice tips for you to dwell on.
Body Piercing Precautions
The Y-Gen is all about body piercing! Read about some tips, methods, risks and advice of body piercing, particularly for teens.
Body Piercing Tips
- Get your piercing done by a professional. There are no two ways about it. Since it is more than just create holes on your body, it is absolutely essential that you interview the piercer. Enquire about their policies on disease prevention and hygiene. Major diseases like AIDS and Hepatitis spread through the use of dirty and infected needles. Do not hesitate to gather all the necessary details.
- Before deciding on an expert, ascertain the success rate of the piercing. This means to mentally and physically prepare for a piercing in a particular area of your body.
- Visible body piercings could be a major discriminating factor against you and sometimes maybe viewed in poor light by individuals. Before you decide, take into consideration what impact it would have on your image and consequently, on your life.
- Infection can be caused by perspiration, water, chlorine or salt water as all these are forms of fluids. Ensure that the piercing hole is kept free from any form of liquid else the infection could spread.
- Post-piercing, it is imperative to make sure that the piercing is kept clean. The body sees this as an injury. It is your job to make sure that it doesn't feel like it's had one! To achieve this, maintaining hygiene is a must.
- In case of facial piercings, avoid clogging the hole with bucket loads of makeup! Almost all cosmetic products contain oil in some form or the other and this can cause severe infection and pus formation.
- Seek medical help immediately if your piercing shows any signs of contamination. The same needs to be followed if the healing time is noticeably slow.
Do's Of Piercing
- You should clean your new piercing twice a day with anti-bacterial soap and warm water.Leave the soap on the piercing for a few minutes before washing it away.
- After cleaning, remember to apply the approved ointment by your piercer. If you are unsure of this, contact your doctor and get a second opinion too.
- An excellent would be to take a sea salt soak immediately after this cleansing so that healing process and the body's natural ability to fight infection is hastened.
- In case of a navel piercing and a teenager who loves his jeans, then it is advisable to wear low cut or hip hugger style jeans! This helps as it reduces the constant source of pressure and irritation.
Don'ts Of Piercing
- Avoid consumption of alcohol, drugs and tobacco before and after getting pierced and the wound is completely healed. This must be followed especially in the case of lip piercings.
- Do not touch your piercing with dirty fingers. Maintaining hygienic and sanitized hands are important. Clean with an antiseptic if required.
- Don't change the body jewellery until your piercing heals completely. This is the most convenient harbor for germs and infection to thrive.
- Avoid swimming as the presence of chlorine in pools and hot tubs irritate and retard the healing of a new piercing.
- Tight fitting or rough clothing such as wool should be avoided to aid in fast recovery and reduce local irritation.
A body piercing gives you a chance to look appealing as well as unique. What is important is to take good care of your body by keeping in mind, the aftercare tips.