The issue of dandruff is a rampant problem amongst a large number of the population as it affects kids, teenagers and adults alike. Dandruff can be described as a condition where there is occurrence of flaking of the scalp. There is a tendency of this dandruff falling onto the shoulders and face of individuals too. Although dandruff may seem like a common problem, it is usually accompanied with bacterial and fungal infections consequently leading to itching and irritation on the scalp. In general, the health of a person is dependent upon diet, exercise and energy levels. Dandruff is due to lack of protein on the skin. The problem of flakes is more common among men possibly due to stress, illnesses and other hair products. Other causes that might contribute to this condition are emotional tension, harsh shampoos, exposure to cold and general exhaustion. Dandruff is of two types - dry and waxy. To find out how you can cure either of this, continue reading below.
Types Of Dandruff
Read about remedies for dandruff, types of dandruff, household tips for dandruff cure and remedy and how to care for hair with dandruff.
Remedies For Dandruff
- Oil-Related Dandruff: This type of dandruff typically occurs from bad hygiene practices. Oil-related dandruff comes from not shampooing your hair often enough. Beneath your scalp, there are small glands called sebaceous glands which produce protective oil called sebum. Sebum forms an integral part of healthy hair. But according to the Mayo Clinic, if left to develop in the hair strands, it can combine with the dead skin and dirt to form dandruff.
- Yeast-Related Dandruff: This type of dandruff is formed due to the presence of a fungus called malassezia, which is present on the surface of every scalp without causing problems of dandruff. However, when excess oil is present on the head, it provides enough food for the fungus to grow out of control. As the fungus feeds, the skin becomes more and more irritated because of the formation of additional skin cells. These eventually die and shed in the form of a dandruff flake.
- Disease-Related Dandruff: There is another type of dandruff called disease-related dandruff. It forms as a secondary side effect of any scalp disorder. As the additional skin cells shed, they combine with sebum oil and transform into a case of dandruff. Another example is eczema. This is a common skin condition that can produce itching and dryness on the scalp ultimately contributing to the formation of dandruff.
Household Tips For Dandruff Cure
- Herbal hair packs can be prepared at home by mixing henna powder, curd, and raitha power together. Apply this mixture on the head and keep it for atleast half an hour before washing it off with warm water. Use an herbal lime-based shampoo for dandruff control.
- Take equal parts of almond oil and pure sulphur. Mix and add 'surgical spirit' to the above. Add four parts distilled water or rose water to the bowl and rub well on the scalp.
- Massage your scalp with almond oil and steam your hair in it. This is done by taking a towel dipped in boiling water and wrapping it around your hair like a turban. Do not let the corners of your towel drip!
- You can also prepare a homemade mixture consisting of 1tbsp of fresh lemon juice with 100g of witch hazel in 200ml of water. Use this on washed hair. If this is continued regularly, it maybe the long-term cure for the problem of dandruff.
Straight, brilliant and bouncy hair is the pride of every woman! So using these home remedies to fight general hair problems such as dandruff, split ends, hair loss and hair graying is the key to look young forever.