Cellulite is the accumulation of fat cells on buttocks and thighs, which might lead to several complications like obesity, heart problems, respiratory problems, and many others. Initially there will be small dimples, but if proper precautionary measures are not taken these fat cells will get enlarged and form compartments leading to uneven layers on the skin. It is more prevalent amongst the obese females, but the lumpy dimpled appearance associated with cellulite can also be, at times, found among women with slim trim figure. Cellulite can, indeed, become a real eyesore for women. Although doctors suggest that unhealthy food habit is the main reason behind cellulite formation, there are several other causes that have been identified. From genetic causes to pregnancy and from smoking to a stressful lifestyle there are many reasons behind cellulite. Whatever be the reasons the effects from it can be really harsh on your health. Want to know more on major causes of cellulite then go through the information given below.
What Causes Cellulite
It is the expansion and contraction of the connective tissues that cause the skin to appear lumpy and dimpled. Read about the causes of Cellulite.
Causes Of Cellulite
- In most cases, the main cause of cellulite is said to be hereditary. Even if you lead a healthy lifestyle, if anyone in your family suffers from cellulite then there is an increasing risk of you too developing it at some point in life.
- We all know that problems associated with cellulite are more common in women. The main reason behind this is that the fibrous septae structures in women are mesh like and, therefore, are more prone to fat cell deposition. On the other hand, the septae structures in men are smooth and flat, resulting in less accumulation of fat cells. In addition, estrogen plays a very dominant role in cellulite formation as it facilitates growth of fat cells around thighs, breasts and buttocks. Another hormone, progesterone, can make this problem serious by weakening veins and increasing the body weight. Thus, both estrogen and progesterone are responsible for cellulite formation.
- We all know that an active and healthy lifestyle is essential for a happy and entertaining life. But for most people, stress and hectic schedule, coupled with an overindulgence in junk foods, creates havoc on the health. The result is obesity and fat deposition. Thus, an unhealthy lifestyle is one of the main causes of cellulite. Pregnancy brings about a lot of changes in a woman's body. Because of rapid growth of the fetus, there are a lot of hormonal changes and increased fluid retention, which sometimes create complexities during pregnancy. Sometimes there are lots of side-effects after pregnancy. The imbalance of hormones, during this period, even leads to deposition of unhealthy fat cells, which in the long term may affect the walls of veins, lymphatic vessels, muscles and even blood circulation. In most women, stretch marks often acts as areas of fat deposit. Thus, women can develop cellulite during pregnancy and post-pregnancy. It is normal to take medicines when faced with health problems. Although not all medicines can cause side effects, the long term use of medications like sleeping pills, birth control pills and diet pills definitely acts as one of the primary reasons for cellulite. So, take those pills only when recommended by the doctor.
- Everyone knows that smoking is injurious to health but not many know that it is also one of the reasons behind cellulite formation. Actually, the free radicals present in nicotine damage the veins and capillaries resulting in inflammation and leakage. Furthermore, along with the heart and lung problems, smoking weakens the cells and even results in fat cell depositions. Although, there are a number of reasons to stop smoking, cellulite formation is another major reason to kick the habit as soon as possible.
- Enlarged lymph nodules often affect the health because of excessive deposition of fat cells. The lymphatic system is composed of several vessels and nodes, which acts as filters to clean the lymphatic fluids, essential for normal functioning of body. Some complications like irritable bowel syndrome, constipation and pelvic inflammation can lead to enlargement of lymph nodules and as result the flow of the lymphatic fluids slows down, causing some blockages leading to the formation of cellulite.