Apricot, known by the botanical name Prunus armeniaca, is a small fruit loaded with vitamins and fatty acids. It is rich in vitamin E, which makes it a splendid fruit for maintaining healthy and glowing skin. The oil, extracted from the kernel of this fruit, is extensively used in beauty care products. During the process of extracting this oil, the kernel is usually cold pressed so that it retains all its nutritious properties. With its lubricating and moisturizing attributes, the oil is used as a base for almost all baby care products. Apart from its wide use in cosmetics, this oil is used in aromatherapy to relax and rejuvenate the body and mind, and it is a fact that regular application of this oil will bring a complete glow to the skin, leaving it fresh and appealing. To know more on the miracles of this oil go through its uses, health benefits and properties given below.
Apricot Kernel Oil Benefits, Uses And Properties
Apricot Kernel oil is of great use in facial massage, owing to its nourishing properties. Read about its uses, health benefits and properties.
Apricot Kernel Oil
|Botanical Name:||Prunus armeniaca|
|Properties:||Easily absorbable, colorless, fine texture|
|Health Benefits:||Dehydration, Inflammation, Boils & Burns|
- Throughout the world, more and more people are adopting massage therapy to relieve themselves of stress, tiredness, depression and also to hasten the treatment of various diseases like osteoporosis, arthritis and the like. Massage therapy, or aromatherapy, is widely used to improve the health of the skin. So, like all other carrier and essential oils, apricot kernel oil is used in aromatherapy to soothe the body and mind.
- Loaded with rich vitamins and, when blended with an essential oil, effusing a rich aroma, apricot kernel oil has a gentle and mild affect on the skin. This is why most baby care products use this oil, as it is very mild on sensitive baby skin. Thus, apricot kernel oil can be safely used for almost all skin types. The oil also provides all the essential vitamins, making the skin soft, elastic and glowing, while at the same time it treats minor skin ailments.
- Apricot kernel oil contains fatty acids, such as oleic and linoleic acid, which are the essential nutrients required for skin nourishments. The fatty acids make the skin elastic and help it retain moisture. In addition, apricot kernel oil is high in vitamin A and E, which are instrumental in maintaining a healthy and supple skin. Regular application of this oil is believed to check premature aging and skin irritation. Apricot kernel oil is extensively used in creams, lotions and soaps because of its excellent moisturizing properties.
- In case of minor burns and injuries application of apricot kernel oil can soothe the pain and also prevent any infections. It is quite effective against scars and rashes, and so apricot kernel oil, when blended with essential oils, can be a boon for the skin. Thus, an apricot kernel oil massage can be a good remedy if you are afflicted with any skin problems and, in case you are not, then a massage with this oil can enhance the beauty and strength of your skin.
- Apricot kernel oil is an excellent source of vitamin E, which is noted for its positive effects on the skin. The oil has the ability to penetrate deep into the skin and since it is non-greasy there won't be any oil residue left behind on the skin. The properties of apricot oil are similar to those of almond oil and so, often they can be used interchangeably in treatments as the former is more expensive compared to the other. However, for those with sensitive skin apricot kernel oil is the best. This oil also prevents the skin from being dehydrated, which makes it extremely good for dry skin.
- The health benefits of apricot kernel oil are not limited only to the skin, as it is equally good for the hair. This oil moisturizes, nourishes and strengthens your hair from the root, making it soft, shiny and bouncy. Regular application of this oil is known to prevent hair loss and promote hair growth.
- Apricot kernel oil can be used to dress up salads and other food items. However, this oil is usually not used in cooking because of its high cost. But it must be remembered that apricot kernel oil is crucial for a healthy diet. Apricot kernel oil is used in traditional Chinese medicine to treat asthma, tumors and tissue disorders. Even today the oil is extensively used in the treatment of eczema and dermatitis.