Olive oil is the most popular and extensively used oil in cooking, healthcare and beauty care. Extracted from the fruit of the olive tree, the oil is able to preserve its aroma, taste, nutrients and other properties for years together. For centuries, this oil has been widely used across the globe for its wonderful health benefits that has the power to cure numerous diseases, and strengthen and maintain the health. Because of its health properties, nowadays it is used in many pharmaceutical products. Perhaps the most important, and popular, health aspect of olive oil is its ability to reduce cholesterol and maintain the health of the heart. The popularity of this oil is ever increasing and, at present times, when obesity and heart disease is on the rise, its usage has reached the peak, as more and more people are adopting a healthier lifestyle. To know more on this oil, read its uses, health benefits and properties given below.
Olive Oil Benefits, Uses And Properties
Olive oil is a popular choice amongst the fruit oils available. Read about its uses, health benefits and properties.
|Botanical Name:||Olea europaea|
|Health Benefits:||Arthritis, Heart Disease, Inflammation, Dehydration|
- Olive oil is one of the most gifted oil as it is packed with a number of health and beauty favoring properties. The health benefits of this oil were known as far back as the Roman era. The Romans extensively used this oil in their diet because of its nutrients, which helped in keeping many common ailments at bay and fortified the health. With time, the miraculous value of this oil has spread around the world increasing the rate of consumption. So, to keep yourself fit and healthy, do try olive oil.
- Even the people of ancient Greece used olive oil, recognizing its therapeutic value. The Greeks, in those days, used this oil to treat various health problems associated with kids and the elderly. Moreover, it was also regularly used in their diet as it was known for its high nutritious properties. Even today people of this region prescribe this oil for pregnant women as it ensures healthy development of the child.
- When used in daily diet, olive oil provides all the essential fats to the body while at the same time lowering the level of harmful cholesterol, thus ensuring fit and perfect health. Using olive oil regularly can cure constipation and other ailments associated with the digestive system as it is very light on the stomach. In fact this oil has many medicinal properties to treat common stomach disorders such as ulcers and gastritis. Sometimes this oil is considered better than general medicines as it is believed to induce more pancreatic hormones secretion than prescribed drugs. Thus, olive oil is essential in maintaining a healthy digestive system. So, in order to reap all these benefits use olive oil as much as possible. In whatever way you use it, rest assured that you will be definitely benefited by its numerous health properties.
- The most attractive and important factor about olive oil is that it has high concentration of anti-oxidative substances and monounsaturated fatty acids, which are beneficial to the health. Studies conducted on olive oil show that regular use of this oil has the ability to cut down the risks of heart disease. This is because this oil lowers the harmful Low Density Lipoprotein (LDL) and raises the level of the beneficial High Density Lipoprotein (HDL), which is essential for maintaining the proper functioning of the heart. Compared to other cooking oils, olive oil is expensive but if you think health comes first then olive oil is for you. So, for a healthy family do add olive oil in your diet.
- Rich in vitamin A, B, C, D and E, olive oil is extremely good for skin treatments. Regular application of this oil to your body and face is very effective in acting against wrinkles, dry skin and other signs of ageing. The vitamins and iron present in the oil is even believed to improve the overall appearance of the skin and make it smooth, glowing and supple. Just a few drops of oil in your bathing water can add extra shine and tenderness to your skin. So, pamper your skin with olive oil for a healthy and beautiful appearance.
- When used regularly, olive oil can help in preventing colon cancer. A study conducted on this show that people who use olive oil in their daily diet are less prone to this type of cancer then those who don't use this oil.