Evening primrose is a wildflower which has been used for centuries to cure stomach and respiratory tract infections. These flowers bloom only during the evening, hence the name evening primrose. The oil extracted from the seeds of this plant is rich in an essential fatty acid called gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), which is responsible for curing various diseases and skin disorders. In fact, because of the high concentration of GLA and other important substances present in evening primrose, it is one of the most important medicinal herbs. The evening primrose oil is extensively used in the treatment of neural disorders, heart diseases, obesity, symptoms of menopause, arthritis, acne, eczema and the list goes on. So, if you want a natural treatment for any of the above mentioned health problems or if you only want to maintain your health and beauty then do try out this oil. Pursue the article further for more information on the major health benefits, uses and properties of evening primrose oil.
Evening Primrose Oil Benefits, Uses And Properties
Evening primrose carrier oil is known to cure even the chronic fatigue syndrome. Read about its uses, health benefits and properties.
Evening Primrose Oil
|Botanical Name:||Oenothera biennis|
|Aroma:||Sweet and light|
|Properties:||Thin in consistency, medium yellow in color, slightly oily feel|
|Uses:||Skin Disorders, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Rheumatoid Arthritis and Asthma|
- Evening primrose carrier oil contains adequate quantities of polysaturated omega-6 fatty acids and essential fatty acids (EFAs), which are vital for the smooth functioning of the body. It aids in regulating a number of functions in the body such as insulin utilization and proper functioning of the heart. This oil also has a reasonable amount of linoleic acid and gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), which enables the body to combat cancer and heart disease. The oil is of great use in treating rheumatoid arthritis and asthma. Evening primrose oil has also proved to be effective in curing chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Nerve damage is very common symptom associated with later stages of diabetes, which the GLA in evening primrose oil can prevent. Some of the most common neural problems such as tingling, numbness and loss of sensation can be cured or at least the effects can be reduced by regular use of evening primrose oil. Most doctors are of the opinion that evening primrose oil can be used to treat diabetes related neural disorders.
- Evening primrose oil has anti-inflammatory properties and so massaging the body with this oil is very effective in reducing joint pain and swelling that results from arthritis and osteoporosis. According to a detailed study, regular use of evening primrose oil could significantly reduce the pain of tender joints and any inflammation of the body, which cannot be cured easily by medication.
- Eczema, the most common skin disorder, is usually developed when the body has problems converting fats into GLA. Regular use of evening primrose oil supplements the required amount of GLA in the body and reduces most of the problems associated with eczema. Supplementing GLA through this oil is helpful in reducing inflammation, itching and other symptoms associated with this skin disorder without having to worry about any side-effects, which some medications and creams for eczema can lead to.
- Acne is the most common skin ailment faced by almost all teenagers and a few adults. This skin disease is usually caused due to blockage of pores with dust and over secretion of oils Essential fatty acids present in evening primrose oil prevents the blockage of oil, thus reducing acne. Even the inflammations and other problems that arise from acne can be treated by using this oil.
- The high quality fatty acids present in evening primrose oil is a good way to maintain the health of the nails. Regular application of this oil to the nails prevents breakage and makes them shine. Even a head massage using this oil keeps the scalp clean and healthy, thus preventing dandruff, fungal infections and hair fall. So, if you want bouncy and luxurious hair, do use this oil.
- Evening primrose has been found to have a positive effect on nerve disorders like Alzheimer's during the initial stage. Regularly massaging the head with this oil has a positive impact on memory. The GLA present in the oil actuates the brains to secrete prostaglandin E, which is instrumental in controlling depression and anger. In most European countries this oil is widely used in the treatment of breast pain called mastalgia. Although there is vast development in medicines, many prefer this oil treatment as there are no side effects.