Cedarwood oil is a yellow viscous oil, which has been used for centuries. Extracted from the Lebanon cedar trees, this oil is perhaps one of the earliest known essential oils and, it is a documented fact, the oil was extensively used by ancient Egyptians in making cosmetics and perfumes. It is also one of the ingredients of 'mithridat', which is an antidote for poison that was used by royals, centuries ago. Today, this oil is used extensively to cure various health problems like kidney disorders, arthritis, skin and respiratory problems, and the list goes on. As result of its medicinal values, the oil is in great demand in aromatherapy. Its strong fragrance makes it best suited for cosmetics and perfumes. Because of the soothing effect of its aroma, this oil is used during meditation as the aroma uplifts the spirit and calms the mind. To know more on its properties, uses and health benefits read the article given below.
Cedarwood Essential Oil Uses & Health Benefits
Cedarwood essential oil is widely used for its tranquilizing effects. Read about its properties, uses and health benefits.
Cedarwood Essential Oil
|Botanical Name:||Cedrus atlantica|
|Properties:||Tranquilizing, antiseptic, expectorant, and antifungal|
|Health Benefits:||Arthritis, Cystitis, Cellulite, Bronchitis, Dandruff, Acne, Eczema|
- Cedarwood oil is extremely good for people who are suffering from seborrhoeic eczema, which is caused due to malfunctioning of the sebaceous glands and epidermal cell infection. People suffering from this problem will have dry skin, which peels from the scalp, eyebrows and from other areas with hair follicles. If this condition persists for long, it becomes very difficult to cure. Thus, it is always best to treat it in the initial stages and using cedarwood oil for this is the most effective way.
- The diuretic property of cedarwood oil helps in curing health problems like hypertension, arthritis, rheumatism, gout, obesity, urinary tract infections and eliminates blood toxins. It is because of this property, excess fat, water and toxins can be removed from various organs, thereby, increasing the metabolic rate of the body. It is said that prevention is better than cure, so, if you want to safeguard yourself from all these health issues, use cedarwood oil regularly.
- Cedarwood oil aids in restoring and revitalizing the body and makes one feel energized. It is sure to soothe each and every nerve of your body, thereby invigorating you completely. It stabilizes the functioning of the body therefore, contributing a sense of wellbeing. Cedarwood oil not just provides relaxation to the body but it also rejuvenates the mind. The regular use of this oil is believed to help in balancing the mind and providing relief from anxiety.
- If you are suffering from heavy cough and cold, and if medicine is not too much of help then you must try cedarwood oil. Its expectorant nature efficiently clears the respiratory track providing relief from cough and congestion. Further, it makes you sleep soundly when suffering from cough and cold thereby, reducing the body pain.
- Regular use of this oil also provides relief from headache and redness of eye. And, women who are suffering from irregular periods can use this oil as the emmenagogue property makes it an excellent remedy for any menstrual problems.
- The astringent property of the oil helps to cure toothache, strengthens gums, provides fitness and improves the quality of weak muscles. On the other hand, because of the antiseptic and strong aromatic properties of the oil, it is used in aftershaves and perfumes. The oil is also used in cosmetics, soaps, detergents and various other beauty care products.