Citrus Sinensis commonly known as 'orange' is used in everyday life. But only few of us know that apart from being a popular fruit and flavoring product, the essential oil of orange can be helpful in curing many diseases and in creating an atmosphere of happiness. The orange essential oil is extracted from the peel of the fruit and further processed through cold compress to obtain a viable form. They have uses in a variety of fields such as medicinal, domestic or in industry. We have come across the orange flavor in every product starting from soaps, creams, body lotions and lip balms. This natural oil is used to flavor food items like cakes, ice-creams and surprisingly, even curries! Orange oil has medicinal properties that help in combating an array of ailments. There are typically two types of essential oil: sweet and bitter. This quality determines the purpose of the oil. Read the following section to learn more about the benefits of using orange essential oil.
Orange Essential Oil Uses & Health Benefits
Sweet Orange essential oil calms down the mind, bringing happiness and delight. Read about its uses, health benefits and properties.
Orange Essential Oil
|Sweet, fresh and citrusy
|Antidepressant, antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory, sedative and antiseptic
|Flatulence, Constipation, Stress, Slow Digestion Dull Skin, Colds, Flu
- The first and most basic use of orange essential oil is aromatherapy. Here, it is extensively used to treat anxiety by acting as a sedative. The oil is known to soothe nerves and eradicate stress and hypertension. After a long day's work, there is nothing more relaxing than using orange flavoured oil and rejuvenating!
- Orange essential oil is used as an anti-depressant because it creates a pleasant environment that makes you forget. Antidepressant activity is due to the capacity of the oil to make the surroundings pleasant and happy.
- It can be used on skin infections as anti-allergic agents because of its property to cure inflammation. Another highly advantageous function is that orange essential oil increases blood flow and can provide relief to swollen parts of the body.
- If you are suffering from a prolonged cold and sore throat then use the orange essential oil mixed in warm water and gargle with the same. This acts as an antiseptic and helps in removing bacterial infections.
- This particular essential oil can be used for fighting bad breath. Wash your mouth with a few drops of the oil and finding yourself having a fresh breath all day long!
- Spasms give rise to diseases such as diarrhea and are difficult to cure. But with the help of orange essential oil, muscular and nervous spasms are diminished followed by a soothing sensation to the stomach. It has also been reported to combat certain kinds of cancer.
- The orange oil has slight aphrodisiac elements, which means that it is a substance that increases sexual desire. Infertility, frigidity, erectile problems, impotence and a loss of interest in may be cured with the help of this essential oil.
- Gastronomical problems are a daily bother! Orange essential oils can be used to relive gas-related issues since it relaxes the abdomen and reduces the production of acids and gas. Studies have shown that regular consumption can guarantee a permanent relief from acidity and bloating. Digestion can also be eased with the help of this oil.
- Orange oil helps in stimulating the secretion of enzymes from the prominent glands such as the exocrine and endocrine. This naturally extracted oil is known to ease menstruation and increase lactation in women.
- The production of collagen in the body is important. Orange essential oil is a good tonic for dry, irritated and acne-prone skin.
- The sweet orange essential oil has a lovely smell that can be used as air fresheners or even a few drops of this oil in the summer can beat the heat!
Although orange essential oil has many uses and is safe to use, it has a number of side effects that you should know about such as exhibiting photo-toxicity (toxic in the sunlight). There have been complaints that this oil can cause nausea. Being extremely careful and consulting an aroma therapist before the orange essential oil is a must.